Full Disclosure: This post is sponsored by TownePlace Suites.
Last week, I attended TownePlace Suites‘ Flip the Grill barbecue event in celebration of their milestone 300th location in North Austin. Together with Weber, they hosted a “Chopped” style contest where two of Austin local pitmasters Chef Sonya Cote (of Eden East) and Chef Evan LeRoy (of Leroy and Lewis) engage in friendly competition.
Chef Cote’s entry was a seared steak grilled with wood chips and Chef LeRoy went with a daring grilled chicken with ramen noodles and Doritos chip crumbles. In the end, the judges called it a close call and gave the win to Chef Cote.
It was really inspiring watching these two pitmasters work the grill. I am sheepish to admit that I don’t know how to work a grill, as evidence by this video.
Lucky for me, the event host and Weber Grills pitmaster, Kevin Cole shared two recipes at the event. They’re not only tasty but also quite easy for grill novices like me! Here are the recipes for your enjoyment!
Serves 2-4 people
- 1 750 ml bottle of rosé wine, chilled
- 2 tablespoons guava nectar or agave syrup
- 2 peaches, halved, pits removed
- 8-ounce can pineapple rings (optional)
- 8 ounces strawberries (optional)
- 2 limes, slices (optional)
- Preheat the grill for 10-15 minutes on high; brush the grates clean. Then set up your grill for direct medium heat at 425-450 degrees.
- Lightly coat fruit with the agave syrup or guave nectar (optional).
- Grill fruit directly on the grates.
Pineapple: 2-3 minutes per side
Strawberries: 2 minutes per side
Limes: 2 minutes per side
Peaches 3-4 minutes, cut side down
- Remove fruit and let cool. Dice pineapple, strawberries, and peaches. Combine all fruit in a pitcher, add teh rosé wine and add guava nectar or agave syrup.
Grilled and Stuffed Avocados
Grilled Avocado Ingredients
- 4 avocados
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
Crab & Jalapeno Stuffing Ingredients
- 8-ounce can crab meat or imitation crab meat
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- teaspoon smoked paprika
Black Bean Salad Stuffing Ingredients
- 16-ounce can black beans
- 10-ounce can sweet corn
- 16 ounces premade pico de gallo
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Instructions for Grilled Avocados
- Preheat the grill for 10-15 minutes on high, brush the grates clean.
Then set up your grill for direct medium heat at 425 degrees to 450 degrees.
- Halve and remove the pit from each avocado. Lightly coat the inside of the avocado with olive oil and lemon or lime juice.
- Grill avocado halves, cut side down at 425 to 450 degrees for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from grill; let rest
Instructions for Crab + Jalapeño Stuffing
- Grill jalapeño, remove from grill and chop into pieces.
- Combine crabmeat, jalapeños, salt, peper, paprika, and lemon/lime juice.
- Fill the grilled avocados
Instructions for Black-Bean Salad Stuffing
- Drain black beans and corn.
- Combine black beans, corn, pico de gallo, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Fill the grilled avocados
Questions: Are you intimidated by grilling? If not, what are some of your favorite grill recipes?
Possibly Related Blog Posts (automatically generated)